WooCommerce Development, UI/UX Design, Conversion Rate Optimization
Context & Mission
How do you convince Asian Canadians to buy a luxury massage chair with a hefty price tag of $10,000 per unit? We were challenged to solve this problem for Panasonic as they were looking to reach a new demographic with the use of a microsite.
The main challenge we faced during this build was creating a site that was fully internationalized to Chinese Canadians, which meant that the site had to be fully functional in English, Traditional Chinese, and Simplified Chinese with the design looking consistent across these languages. This was not an easy task to tackle as Chinese characters differ greatly to its English counterpart in typeface, letter spacing, and density. Something we learned early on during research was that more than 90% Chinese web users surf the internet on their mobile phones and that they prefer high information density.
Having a little over a week to come up with a full-blown solution for the new microsite, we approached this project different than others by diving right into the deep end of building out a mock-up of the site first before research — an unorthodox approach which turned out in our best interest as we were able to maintain a constant feedback loop with the Panasonic team such that any necessary changes can be made early in the design phase of the iteration cycle.
Through many rounds of research and iterations, we ended up crafting a targeted solution that nearly depleted their entire inventory of expensive massage chairs in stores throughout the major cities in Canada. The multi-language microsite was built in one week with analytic and tracking integrations and allowed Panasonic to successfully monitor the behavior of their new audience even after the campaign was over.
Usually, the best solutions to any difficult problem are the simplest ones, so that’s what we chose. Our simple solution was to create both a Chinese version of the microsite and an English version, both living on the same domain name but with the Chinese version in a subdirectory. Doing so provided us the flexibility to modify any changes of a site in one language without affecting the other. This proved valuable as it opened up the opportunity for us to use different images as well which helped increase focus to our target audience which in the end helped us achieve the campaign goal of depleting a whole inventory of luxury massage chairs all over Canada.
The multi-language microsite was built in one week with analytic and tracking integrations and allowed Panasonic to successfully monitor the behavior of their new audience even after the campaign was over. Through ongoing conversion rate optimization, the Panasonic team were very pleased to be able to sell out of all of the inventory they had in stock for the Panasonic Prestige luxury massage chair.